Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
DH loves applesauce on his toast.A brunch recipe was born. It is quick and easy and easy to double for a crowd.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread or 8 slices white bread, lightly toasted
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons Amaretto
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- Pam cooking spray
- Spread applesauce on four slices of toast.
- In mixing bowl add eggs, Splenda, vanilla, Amaretto, flour, baking powder and milk.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Top the applesauce toast with another slice of plain toast.
- Pour the batter in a flat dish.
- Carefully place each sandwich in the batter and turn it so each side is coated.Because the bread is lightly toasted the bread will not be soggy.
- Spray pam in a baking dish.
- Place sandwiches in the baking pan.
- Pour any batter left evenly over the sandwiches.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Bake uncovered about 35 minutes. Last ten minutes of baking, sprinkle slivered almonds on top. You may sprinkle cinnamon if desired. The tops should be nicely browned.
- Serve plain or with karo or maple syrup.
- Recipe can doubled or tripled.
- Prepared ahead and refrigerated if desired.
- Allow an extra 10 minutes baking time if refrigerated.