Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
There are many versions of baked apples, and through the years I have tried most of them. This is by far a VERY DELICIOUS recipe. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
- 2 Red Delicious apples
- 6 ounces root beer
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- With a coring knife or a vegetable peeler, from the stem end of the apple, core out the center, almost, but not completely to the bottom.
- The hole should be about the diameter of an inch.
- Line a glass 8 inches by 5 inches and 3 inches high glass baking dish with aluminum foil, and place the apples, standing upright, into the dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon very well.
- With a tablespoon, place half of the mixture into each of the holes.
- It is okay if the mixture overflows.
- Gently pour 3 oz. of the Root-Beer into each of the holes, allowing the soda to somewhat overflow.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. and bake the apples 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- With 2 very large long handled spoons, carefully remove the apples and place each into individual serving bowls.
- With the long handled spoon, scoop out and top each of the apples with the juice and serve.
These were delicious. I was surprised, because I wasn't sure how the root beer would taste (and I adore root beer). The cinnamon/sugar mixture is enough for 6 apples, and there's leftover root beer in the bottle. I made one more apple, because that's all that would fit in my dish. I had tons of the root beer mixture in the bowl, maybe too much?? I think next time I'll probably do 6 apples, and not have to increase the remaining ingredients. An excellent baked apple.
Thanks for this great simple recipe Alan! This was my first attempt at Baked Apples and they came out delicious! Unfortunately I had to change the recipe due to what was and wasn't in the pantry. I used 2 baking apples (quartered, cored and wrapped tightly in foil), 1/2 cup of light brown sugar, 2 tbs. of ground cinnamon, and topped it off with a pat of butter baked in a small tin at 475 for 30 min. I will definitely have to try it with root beer next time. Thanks again!
This was wonderful! I cooked 4 apples, each in it's own baking dish, otherwise followed the recipie, doubling the amounts. Who wouldda thunk!? This one's a keeper for sure!