Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 4 large red apples
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Squeeze juice from lemon halves into a large bowl with 2 cups cold water.
- Peel top third of each apple.
- With a small knife and working from the top of each apple, carefully carve out a large"bowl," including the core, about 2 inches in diameter, leaving the bottom of apple intact.
- Reserve all cut-away pieces.
- Place carved apples in lemon water.
- Chop cut-away apple pieces into small chunks, removing any core or seeds.
- Toss with 3 tablespoons honey and cinnamon; set aside.
- Combine remaining 9 tablespoons honey with 1/2 cup hot water and stir until well blended.
- Stand apples, cut side up, in a 9" x 9" shallow baking dish.
- Place 1 teaspoon butter in bowl of each apple and pour honey and water mixture on top.
- Cover dish with foil and bake until tender, 25 to 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring 1 3/4 cups water and a pinch of salt to a boil.
- Add oatmeal and apple pieces, and stir until mixture returns to a boil; reduce heat and cover.
- Cook until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove apples from oven and carefully fill with oatmeal mixture.
- Top with brown sugar.
- Place under the broiler 1 minute, just until light brown sugar is bubbly and dark brown.
- Serve with whipped cream, if desired.