Now that fall is here what better time to get fresh apples and try this! Found this recipe in a newspaper listing the source as: Piano, Piano, Piano by Susan McKenna Grant
- For sauce:.
- Beat egg yolks and honey until light and frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce speed; mix in wine.
- Transfer mixture to double boiler and stir constantly over moderate heat until custard thickens and feels heavy. It should coat the back of a spoon thickly.
- BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THE MIXTURE BOIL!
- Remove from heat, cool to room temperature; chill to cool completely.
- Whip cream until it reaches soft peaks, then fold into cold sauce. Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- To bake apples: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice top third off each apple, leaving stems intact; remove cores.
- Push butter into core cavities and rub some onto skins. Place apples in baking dish; sprinkle with sugar, pushing some sugar into cavity of each. Replace tops; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 35-40 minutes until apples are tender. Cool to room temperature; serve with dollop of sauce between apples and tops.