1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
From The Washington Post, January 28, 2009 From Stephanie Witt Sedgwick. First off I'll try to make the dried cranberries but anticipate I'll be making it with dates instead. A bit of cinnamon and Calvados will go into the mix as well.I plan to serve warm with big dollops of whipped cream and creme fraiche beaten stiff with Calvados.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Use nonstick cooking oil spray to lightly grease a baking dish that is just large enough to hold the apples without crowding.
- 2Combine the cranberries, ginger, brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is finely chopped.
- 3Use a corer, spoon or melon baller to create a hollow vertical core in the center of each apple, being careful to remove all of the stem and seeds (core all the way through the bottoms). Trim the bottoms of the apples as needed so they sit steadily in the baking dish. Place the apples in the prepared baking dish. Fill the cored center of each apple with the cranberry-ginger mixture, stuffing the filling inches Add enough water to come 1/4- to 1/2-inch up the side of the dish. The apples will be sitting in a shallow pool of water. Transfer the dish to the oven.
- 4Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the apples are tender.
- 5Transfer the apples to a serving plate. Pour the liquid from the baking dish into a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, allowing the liquid to boil until it turns into a light syrup; the timing will depend on how much water was in the dish, but it should take only a few minutes. You want to end up with about 1/3 cup of light syrup.
- 6Serve hot or warm, with 1 tablespoon of the syrup drizzled over the top of each apple.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Apples With Ginger and Cranberries
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.4
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 46.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 53.0 g
- Protein 0.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: