Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Everyday Food" No.26 (Oct. 2005).
- 4 apples
- 1⁄3 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄3 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons gingersnaps, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Core apples, making a 3/4"-wide cavity, stopping 1/2" from the bottom. Peel top inch of apples and fill with cherries and walnuts. Arrange in an 8" square baking dish.
- Drizzle maple syrup over apples and top each with 1/2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake, basting occasionally, until apples are tender (45-60 minutes).
- Transfer apples to a plate. Pour the liquid fro the baking dish into a bowl; whisk in sour cream. Drizzle over apples and sprinkle with crushed gingersnaps.