Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are scrumptious.
- 7 teaspoons chopped walnuts
- 7 teaspoons raisins
- 4 granny smith apples
- 1 teaspoon freshly-grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted,plus
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups brandy
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits
- 2 tablespoons sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar, plus
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- whipped cream, as an accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine walnuts, raisins, ¼ cup melted butter and 4 tblsps sugar.
- Peel and core the apples, leaving them whole.
- Arrange them in a pie plate just large enough to hold them in one layer, and fill the cavity of each apple with ¼ of the walnut-raisin mixture.
- Sprinkle the zest over the apples with 1 tblsp melted butter and 2 tblsps of the sugar.
- Pour brandy around apples.
- Bake, basting occasionally, for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until apples are tender.
- Keep warm, covered loosely.
- For sauce: In a saucepan, combine butter, sugars, salt and cream and cook over low heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to high, boil sauce for 2 minutes, and let cool to room temperature.
- Divide sauce among 4 dessert plates and put apple in center.
- Top with whipped cream.
Wow! This was incredible. I would serve this to guests, and I believe I will the next time we have a family dinner. The caramel sauce was simply amazing. I cut the amount of brandy in half (using 3/4 cup), because I was afraid it would overpower the dish. I needn't have worried. This was very smooth, with no "alcohol" taste to it at all. The caramel sauce is sweet, but paired with the very tart Granny Smith apples, the entire dish is just out of this world. Thank you! :)
I can't beleive that this wonderful apple recipe is not rated as yet! I only used a couple of tablespoons of brandy, but increased the butter for the apples, I am looking forward to serving this for dessert tonight topped off with the caramel sauce YUMMMMMM! thanks Ev!...Kitten:)