Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Use a good-flavored baking apple such as Granny Smith for this delicious dessert. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 6 medium apples, cored and peeled 1/4 of the way down
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place apples in a baking dish.
- Place a teaspoon of butter in each apple; pour syrup or brown sugar over apples.
- Pour water in the pan and bake until soft, about 1/2 hour, basting every five minutes or so.
- Serve with heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.