Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
A dollop of whipping cream makes for a nice finishing touch. These have a nice crunchy filling - they are wonderful! Bon Appetit Magazine, October 2005
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, toasted, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup golden sultana raisins
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 4 fuji apples (8- to 9-ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (preferably unfiltered fresh)
- whipped cream or Greek yogurt
- Combine first 5 ingredients in small bowl.
- Mix in cream.
- Let stand until sugar dissolves and filling thickens, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using small sharp knife and starting at side of apple at center point, cut around each apple to make slit in skin to prevent bursting.
- Using small end of melon baller, scoop out core and all seeds to within 1/2 inch of bottom.
- Place apples upright in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Spoon filling into hollow of each apple.
- Mound remaining filling on top of each apple (some may slide down sides).
- Pour juice around apples.
- Butter large sheet of foil.
- Loosely tent dish with foil, buttered side down.
- Bake apples until barely tender, about 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake until apples are very tender and sauce is bubbling thickly, about 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer apples and sauce to bowls.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or yogurt.