1/2 Photos of Baked Apples in Pastry
I would like to thank BusyMomof3 for this little treasure in Sugar Free Cooking cookbook that she sent me in the recent cookbook swap. TIP - for an extra rich pastry, use 1 egg yolk and half the amount of water in this recipe. VARIATION - Use pears instead of apples in the recipe. FREEZING - These apples freeze well after baking and should be thawed and then re-heated before eating.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preaheat oven to 350F (160C fan forced, 175C conventional).
- 2Sift the flour, salt and spices into a large bowl.
- 3Cut the butter into dice and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (I would use a food processor on pulse to do this).
- 4Mix in enought water to produce a smooth pliable dough.
- 5Divide the dough into six pieces and roll out into a square approximately 8 inches.
- 6Peel the apples with a sharp knife and carefully remove the centre cores with a apple corer.
- 7Chop the prunes and the apricots and mix these with the raisins.
- 8Place oe prepared apple into the centre of each pastry square, and fill the cavities with equal amounts of the dried fruit mixture.
- 9Brush the edges of each square with a little water and draw them up and around the sides of the apples, sealing them well with a little water and trimming off the excess pastry to give a neat finish.
- 10Roll out the pastry trimmings =, cut into decorative leaves and stick the leaves onto each apples for decoration.
- 11Glaze each pastry apple with the beaten egg and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- 12Bake the apples in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13Serve hot with the fresh cream and sprigs of fresh mint.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Apples in Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.1
- Calories from Fat 223
- Total Fat 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 92.0 mg
- Sodium 316.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 28.9 g
- Protein 8.8 g