Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I thought ginger would be tasty in a baked apple. So I tried it...the results were aromatic, sweet and darkly rich.
- 4 medium granny smith apples or 4 medium other tart baking apples
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core apples.
- Do it carefully so the hole does not go all the way through to the bottom.
- Place them hole side up in a nonstick cake pan.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into each cavity to prevent browning.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, raisins, and ginger.
- Divide mixture evenly between the apples,packing gently.
- Combine molasses and orange juice, pour over apples.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until apples are soft but not collapsing.
- You may want to spoon the juices from the pan over the apples a few times during baking.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
We had this for dessert last night. None of us were impressed with the taste or texture. But it sure did make the kitchen smell good.