Recipe by Er Be3
I thought ginger would be tasty in a baked apple. So I tried it...the results were aromatic, sweet and darkly rich.
- 4 medium granny smith apples or 4 medium other tart baking apples
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Core apples.
- Do it carefully so the hole does not go all the way through to the bottom.
- Place them hole side up in a nonstick cake pan.
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice into each cavity to prevent browning.
- In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, raisins, and ginger.
- Divide mixture evenly between the apples,packing gently.
- Combine molasses and orange juice, pour over apples.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until apples are soft but not collapsing.
- You may want to spoon the juices from the pan over the apples a few times during baking.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.