Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
We had some Granny Smith apples around that my husband wasn't interested in eating due to some dental work. So I combined a couple of recipies and came up with these.
- 5 granny smith apples, cored, with a 1-inch strip of peel taken from the top
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup oats
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 cup mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 1 cup water
- Pre-heat oven to 400 deg.
- 1. Mix the sugar, oats, cornmeal, spices and dried fruit in a bowl.
- 2. Stuff the mixture into the cavities in the apples.
- 3. Place in a 9x9 baking pan and add water, and whatever of the spice mixture didn't fit in the apples.
- Bake for about an hour, checking periodically to make sure the water is not cooking away.
A lovely bite of fall all packed in a tasty (and healthy package) I used the new brown sugar Splenda and otherwise prepared the dish as presented. My mixed fruit included golden raisins, plums, apricots, pears and cranberries. Even had a bit of extra filling and added a stuffed baked pear to the batch. Both were scrumptious. Yes, the cormeal sounded a bit odd at first but was actually really good adding a bit of hominess to the dish. Thanks DiWriter!