Recipe by Kzim4
I clipped from a magazine (no idea which one anymore) and thought I ought to post it here for safe keeping!
- 4 golden delicious apples, peeled and cored
- 3⁄4 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free caramel topping, divided
- powdered sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice apples crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Set aside 8 largest slices;reserve remaining apple for another use.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Stir in cider and egg whites (batter will be thick).
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Dip 4 apple slices in batter, place in pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange apple slices on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; lightly coat apples with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining apple slices.
- Bake apples at 400°F for 10 minutes or until edges are crisp. Drizzle each of 4 plates with 1 tablespoon caramel sauce, top with 2 apple slices. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately.