Recipe by Katzen
This is a recipe my Mom used to make for breakfast when I was a kid. It's cinnamon and buttery apples topped with a light "pancake" that is baked in the oven. We used to eat it with maple syrup. Delicious!!!
Top Review by ltemple99
We enjoyed the recipe, but it turned out a little different than I expected. While it was very light tasting, it didn't puff up the way I thought it would. Also, sauteeing the apples for 5 mins, and then only cooking the combined dish for 10 mins, really wasn't enough time for the apples to get soft - so mine had a slight bite to them. I would use this recipe, in conjunction with others, for brunch.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, sliced
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons milk
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare an 8"x8" pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and lightly sauté sugar, cinnamon and apples for 5 minutes. Spoon apples into baking pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat flour, baking powder, milk, salt, and egg yolks until smooth.
- Fold egg whites and batter together.
- Pour batter over apple slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 10 to 12 minutes or until pancake is done.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup.