Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is a recipe my Mom used to make for breakfast when I was a kid. It's cinnamon and buttery apples topped with a light "pancake" that is baked in the oven. We used to eat it with maple syrup. Delicious!!!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups apples, sliced
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 2⁄3 tablespoons milk
- 1 dash salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Prepare an 8"x8" pan with cooking spray.
- Melt butter and lightly sauté sugar, cinnamon and apples for 5 minutes. Spoon apples into baking pan.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat flour, baking powder, milk, salt, and egg yolks until smooth.
- Fold egg whites and batter together.
- Pour batter over apple slices.
- Bake at 400 degrees fahrenheit for about 10 to 12 minutes or until pancake is done.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup.
We enjoyed the recipe, but it turned out a little different than I expected. While it was very light tasting, it didn't puff up the way I thought it would. Also, sauteeing the apples for 5 mins, and then only cooking the combined dish for 10 mins, really wasn't enough time for the apples to get soft - so mine had a slight bite to them. I would use this recipe, in conjunction with others, for brunch.
This is so light and delicious and bakes up quick to boot! I used brown sugar to saute my apples and cut the recipe down to 2 servings and baked in a mini loaf pan. It puffed up really high in such a small pan but it came out tasting exceptional! I topped mine with caramel sauce and whipped topping. It was like eating dessert for breakfast! MMM. Thanks for sharing Kat. Made for Sweet Traditions Tag Game.
This was divine! I used honey instead of sugar and whole grain flour to improve the nutrition. We topped ours with almond butter and fell in love! So simple, so quick, so good!! Thanks for posting we will be making this often.