Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy enough to make for an everyday breakfast but fancy enough to wow brunch guests. The recipe comes from The Crow's Nest.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the sugar and cinnamon, and then add the apples and saute until soft.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy.
- Beat in the milk and sour cream.
- Add the flour and beat well.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Pour the batter over the hot apples in the skillet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until browned and puffy.
- Dust with the confectioner's sugar and serve at once.
This was nice. I'd advise to use a nice variety of apple though as my ones are a bit watery and flavourless so it didn't taste as good as it could have done!
I was happy to find a recipe that had ingredients in it that I had on hand. I really need to go to the store!!!! It smells so good while the apples saute and while it bakes. I think I may have over cooked my apple b/c the sauce was a little burnt. :( I added extra ricotta b/c I just like that texture and it turned out well. I had to force my 3 year old to eat it, but she took more bites than I even require. Great Fall recipe.