Recipe by elandlh
After losing 50 lbs. my husband requested lowfat apple fritters. An internet search provided a recipe from www.shashek.com now modified to use a food processor.
Top Review by woolovetobake
What a great alternative to the fried variety! Instructions are simple to follow and the results from it look fantastic and taste even better! Fluffy and moist and has all the flavour that an apple fritter would offer without the extra oil! I think this will become a family favourite!
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (100-110 degrees)
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk or 3⁄4 cup skim milk (scalded/heated to 100-115 degrees)
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (sliced)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups unbleached flour (about)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 2 cups peeled chopped apples
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hot milk, margarine, sugar and salt in the bowl of food processor.
- (or mixing bowl) Let stand until margarine melts.
- Beat in 1 1/2 cups of flour.
- Add yeast mixture, cinnamon and egg.
- Process or beat until combined.
- Add other 2 cups flour and process or mix and knead on board.
- Add additional flour if needed.
- Place dough in greased bowl.
- Turn to grease top.
- Cover and let rise about 1 1/2 hours or let rise in the refrigerator over night (bringing dough to room temperature before continuing).
- Punch dough down.
- Mix in apples.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Cut dough with shears or chop with sharp knife.
- Shape cut dough into six mounds on a greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with other two sections of dough.
- Cover and let rise at room temperature until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, place powdered sugar in food processor.
- Process until fluffy, not lumpy.
- Slowly add lemon juice and keep processing until smooth and satiny.
- While fritters are still warm spoon on glaze.