Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe at my mother in law's house. You can try other flavors of pie filling like blueberry but apple is the favorite at our house.
- 1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 slices day-old French bread or 8 slices day old cinnamon raisin bread, about 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spread pie filling in dish.
- In a pie plate, beat the eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Dip bread slices into the egg mixture for about a minute per slice, turning once.
- Arrange 2 rows of bread on top of pie filing overlapping slices slightly.
- Mix cinnamon and sugar.
- Brush bread with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- At this point, the dish may be refrigerated overnight, if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake dish uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Serve fruit side up.
This is a wonderful recipe,simple and yummy!!! Just what you need when you're trying to satisfy grumpy teens who are groggy from a sleepover. Everyone loves warm apples and sweet bread--even those who usually don't like eggs, like this dish. I did double the apple filling, add another egg, and poured a tad more milk and vanilla (guess I let the bread soak too long). Some guests like extra like a little more sweetness than others, so I offer warm maple syrup. I like making this dish at night and cooking in the a.m. I'm usually more grumpy than the teens and really appreciate the ease of slipping the already-prepared mixture in the oven.
This was really good. Made it with brown sugar bread, sprinkling raisins on top of the apple pie filling. We felt it was sweet enough without sugar, kind or reminds me of a pastry almost. It's very yummy. Ty for the recipe :)
This was very good. I used 1 21 ounce can of blueberry pie filling and it was enough to cover the entire 9x13 pan. I also refrigerated it overnight for the next morning and it turned out great with about 15 more minutes in the oven. I also used Texas Toast because it was what I had on hand. Very good!