Recipe by Mirj
This is something I make for a special breakfast when the whole family has time for a leisurely morning. You can refrigerate it overnight and pop it into the oven in the morning.
Top Review by Kathryn Kelly
The flavors of this recipe are good and it is nice for your whole family to be able to eat french toast at once. The recipe is very fat rich and caloric though. Here are some tips for reducing it. Skip the cream cheese altogether (I did this by accident and it came out very well). Use egg beaters or 3 whole eggs and 6 whites. Cut the butter down to 1/3 cup.
- 3 large granny smith apples, peeled,cored and sliced into wedges
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 12 slices bread (thick slices)
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- In a skillet, melt butter with brown sugar.
- Add the apples and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer to the baking dish and let cool.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and arrange evenly over the apples.
- Cut the slices of bread in half diagonally and layer over the apples to cover the whole dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, making sure not to leave any dry spots.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until golden and puffed.