Recipe by Chocolatl
These are the real deal, not muffins. Adapted from the Scribbit website. Posted by request.
Top Review by Katzen
So delicious! I took the preview reviewer's comments, and used 2 apples, chopped into chunks, which I added to the dough after the dough cycle. They're hard to keep in the dough, so I ended up poking them in, which worked quite well. Done this way, these little gems yielded chunks of warm, soft apples, surrounded by a slightly dense dough, swaddled in melted butter and cinnamon-sugar. Great way to get my apple doughnut fix without being deep fried! Thanks for posting, Chocolatl - I've had my eye on this recipe for a while! Recipenapped for Veggie Swap 22.
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large grated apple
- 1 large egg
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon fast rising yeast
- melted butter
- cinnamon sugar, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients except cinnamon sugar and melted butter in the order recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.
- Start dough cycle.
- When dough cycle is finished, remove dough from machine.
- Divide into 14 pieces and shape into donuts (or pat out and use cutters).
- Place on a baking sheet and let rise 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until browned. and done.
- Immediately brush each doughnut with butter and dip in cinnamon sugar.
- To make without a bread machine:.
- Heat the milk to 110-115 degrees.
- Pour on top of the brown sugar and yeast, and let it sit for 5-10min.
- Add oil, egg and apple.
- Stir flour, salt and spices together and stir into yeast mixture.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down the dough, and roll it out 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into doughnut shapes.
- Transfer doughnuts to a baking sheet.
- Wait to cut out the "hole" until you have transferred the doughnut to the baking sheet.
- Bake as above.