Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are unlike any doughnut you've ever eaten. Actually, they're muffins. The center of the apple-cinnamon delight sinks,giving it a doughnut look. I got the recipe from Midwest Living Magazine.
- Set oven on 350 deg F.
- Grease twenty-four 2-1/2 inch muffin cups well,set aside. In a medium bowl,stir together flour,salt and baking soda,set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening with a electric mixer 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the 1-1/2 cups sugar,about 1/4 cup at a time,beating on medium speed until well-combined and scraping sides of bowl. Beat 2 minutes more.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time,beating after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to shortening mixture,beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups,filling two-thirds full.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until dark golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Doughnuts will dip in middle. Cool in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Carefully remove doughnuts from muffin cups(donuts will be tender). While still warm, roll doughnuts in the sugar mixture. Serve warm.