Recipe by betsypower2005
This recipe is one of my Mom's favorites to make for my husband and my 4 yr old son when we come to visit. They gobble it up!
Top Review by Chef GreanEyes
Was pretty yummy. Used about half the amount of meat (80/20) and for our own tastes need to fully drain the fat. The extra cheese melting at the end gave us plenty of grease. Added some garlic and garlic pepper. Made excellent leftovers for cold lunches minus the grease. we blotted some out after reheating whole dish. Thanks betsypower!
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked as directed
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced (sweet, yellow)
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on box. (I suggest buying actual spaghetti, not thin spaghetti or angel hair because you need a hearty noodle.) Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in large stock pot add oil and brown onions until soft. Add beef and brown. DO NOT DRAIN FAT, this is needed for the flavor. (If you must use regular ground beef (80/20 fat) drain 1/2 the fat only. I like ground round or ground sirloin.) Add salt, pepper and tomato sauce. Blend well. Add cooked spaghetti. Toss well. Then add 4 cups of cheese and mix well. Pour into greased 15x10x2 or larger pan and top with remaining 2 cups of cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to stand 5 minutes to firm up then ENJOY!