- 1 (1 lb) package egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces mild pancetta or 2 ounces bacon, diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon caraway seeds or 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded ementhal cheese or 2 cups raclette cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook noodles according to package instructions until just tender. Drain and chill under cold water; drain well.
- Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and caraway seeds; saute until pancetta starts to render some fat. Add onions and sa< cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pepper and nutmeg; stir in noodles to coat. Stir in onion mixture and half of the cheese. Place in buttered 13- x 9-inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, in 375°F (190°C) oven until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.