Recipe by Alan Leonetti
THIS WAS CREATED BY THE CHEF OF ELIZABETH TAYLOR. This is a very impressive dessert when entertaining that most people would like to make and have no idea where to begin, not to mention that making it frightens most people, because of ice cream in the oven. If you follow these directions, you will find it rather easy to make, even though there are several steps.
For RED VELVET POUND CAKE
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
FOR THE ASSEMBLY
- 1 gallon strawberry ice cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a tube pan.
- Using a mixing bowl, combine the butter, shortening, the 3 cups of sugar and cream it until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each egg addition.
- Add in the food coloring and vanilla.
- Combine the flour and salt and add it to the creamed mixture alternating with the milk, beating well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan& bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a wood toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn it out onto a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, slice the cake in half.
- Preheat the broiler. To make the meringue, place the egg whites and cream of tartar into a mixing bowl.
- Beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff and set aside.
- To assemble the Baked Alaska you have to work quickly.
- Slice the cake into 1/2 inch thick slices and place on a sheet pan.
- Spread top of the cake slices with about 1 cup of strawberry ice cream.
- Top with the remaining half of the cake slices.
- Spread meringue on ALL SIDES and form peaks using a knife.
- Broil until the meringue is light brown.
- Be careful not to burn the peaks.
- Serve immediately.