Recipe by Aroostook
An wonderful make-a-head summer pie. This recipe calls for raspberries and vanilla ice cream but please use any combination of your choosing. Freeze and serve later. Serve plain or with your favorite sundae sauce.
- 1 9-inch baked pie crust
- 16 large marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh raspberries, chilled
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups raspberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup currant jelly
Directions See How It's Made
- Chill baked crust.
- Preheat broiler 10 minutes or so.
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan add marshmellows and water heat over low heat until melted.
- Stir constantly.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar and salt.
- Mix well.
- Fold in marshmellow mixture until well incorporated.
- Remove crust from fridge.
- Sprinkle crust with 1 cup of berries.
- Fill crust with ice cream.
- Sprinkle ice cream with 1 cup of berries.
- Top with meringue covering pie completely.
- Broil several inches inches below heat until lightly browned.
- Serve at once plain or with your favorite sauce*.
- (This pie may be frozen as soon as pie is browned. Remove from oven and place in freezer. After an hour, remove from freezer and cover with plastic. Return to freezer. To serve: let stand at room temp for 45 minutes.) Raspberry Sauce: Heat though and serve.