Recipe by shelbyrose
No, not whipped egg whites but whipped potatoes encrust the delicious loaf. Cheddar cheese is baked into the meat and when you cut into this, the look and taste will blow you away! From my trusty old Pillsbury Family Cookbook.
Top Review by Out of the Blue
My not-too-crazy-about-meatloaf husband rave about this recipe, so much so that I had to send the link to your recipe to three of his co-workers. It says it all. The only thing I did different is to add some garlic powder to the meat mixture. Thanks for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, cut into quarter inch cubes
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups hot mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine meat, cheese, crumbs, mushrooms, onion, ketchup, egg, salt and pepper; blend well.
- Press mixture into a greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven; let'set' in pan about 5 minutes.
- Drain off fat.
- Invert meat loaf onto an oven-proof platter or pan.
- Spread mashed potatoes over top and sides of meat.
- Set oven temperature to broil.
- Place under broiler until delicately brown.