Recipe by mollypaul
A sweet little morsel from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
Top Review by carlamoose
Although the directions forgot the baking time, the cupcakes turned out great. Bake them at 20 minutes. I would say they were cool after an hour or so. Make sure the broiler is preheated before putting them in (despite my broiler saying not to preheat). If you put them in longer than 30 seconds, the ice cream will start to melt into the batter, so it is critical that the broiler is hot and ready. I used 3/4 cup milk + 2 Tbsp butter for the light cream.
- 236.59 ml flour
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 177.44 ml light cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 473.19 ml ice cream
- 9 marshmallows, cut in half crosswise
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease muffin pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Beat the egg and cream together; add vanilla.
- Pour into the dry ingredients, beating thoroughly.
- Bake until cakes test done (approximately 20 minutes) and remove to a cooling rack.
- When cupcakes are cold, hollow out center and fill with ice cream; level off with the back of spoon and completely blanket the top with halves of marshmallows.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place cake under hot broiler for 30 seconds, or until marshmallows are puffed and brown.
- Serve at once.