Recipe by MarielC
From the NY Times. Here for safekeeping. I estimated the amount of nutmeg and walnuts.
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the squash on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, until soft enough to easily cut in half. Cut in half, and scoop out the seeds and membranes.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil. Stir the maple syrup and walnut oil together in a bowl, then brush over the cut surfaces of the squash. Sprinkle with a very small amount of ground nutmeg. Place in the oven and bake one hour, brushing every 10 minutes with more oil and maple syrup. When the squash is tender, brush once more, then spoon a tablespoonful of finely chopped walnuts into each cavity and return to the oven for five to 10 minutes, until the walnuts are toasty. Remove from the heat. Serve hot or warm.