Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
THIS says fall. Orange, crispy, with spices to make you swoon. Baked pieces look gorgeous on a beautiful serving platter. Or on your plate!
- Cut into halves or quarters & clean out the seeds.
- Place pieces upside down in baking dish.
- Pour 1/4 inch water into baking dish.
- Microwave for 8 minutes, turning once.
- Remove carefully (hot!).
- Transfer *right-side up* to foil-covered oven platter.
- Brush each semi-squishy piece with oil.
- Then sprinkle with cinnamon & nutmeg, to taste.
- Optional: Sprinkle raisins over the spices, remembering that raisins are high in sugar (in case diabetes is a concern).
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, or until the acorn squash looks golden and crispy.
Squash comes out tender and moist by cooking this way - would definatly use this cooking method again! I used the optional raisins and they plumped up nicely while cooking. I used 1/2T oil for both squash (1/4T each). I removed them from the oven after 30 minutes and they were cooked through - although I was only cooking one squash. DH and I each enjoyed half - will be making again! Made for Pick-A-Chef Spring 2008.
Lovely recipe without added sugar (YAY). The natural sugars in the squash and cinnamon being a sweet spice make a very nice combo that is sweet enough. This will be good year round. It took mine about 35 mins @ 350 for the 2nd baking.