Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is my most requested vegetable dish every holiday. It's not as sweett as yams and it melts in your mouth. Kids love it too. It's also very attractive to serve.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1⁄3 cup Karo light corn syrup or 1⁄3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- Slice the acorn squash in 1 1/2 inch wide slices and lay in microwave dish.
- Place 1/4 cup water over squash and microwave about 5-7 minutes so it's partially done but still firm.
- Preheat over to 375 degrees.
- Now melt butter or margarine and add the orange juice and syrup.
- Mix well.
- Place par cooked squash in baking pan in a single layer.
- A cookie sheet works well for this.
- Baste with the liquid mixture and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Turn squash and baste about every 15 minutes.
This turned out great. I was a little scared that it would be too sweet, but it was not. We ended up only needing about half of the butter/orange/syrup mixture. Not sure if I did it wrong or if there was just more than what is needed. Will keep this recipe to use again. Thanks!
I never knew how to cook this squash except to team it. This is a wonderful recipe. Looks like a flower design when cut. I will make this delicious and attractive dish for potlucks and holiday dinners. Easter is coming up! Thank you!