Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
I tweaked my Barely Baked 3-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese (Barely Baked 3-Cheese Macaroni and Cheese) and made this one for Thanksgiving at my sister's house. It came out creamy like I'd hoped, even after sitting for over an hour after baking. Travels well and you can make ahead. Just keep the noodles and the sauce separate until it's time to bake.
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni or 16 ounces cavatappi pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed (I use neufchatel cream cheese as it's lighter)
- 6 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed (any brand processed cheese spread)
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 Boil salted water to a full rolling boil and then add macaroni.
- 2 Melt butter on the stove at medium heat and then whisk in flour, cooking for about a minute.
- 3 Add milk and the half-and-half, and continue heating for 2-3 minutes.
- 4 Add ground mustard, salt, seasoning salt, and garlic powder.
- 5 Add cream cheese and whisk until melted.
- 6 Add Velveeta and whisk until melted.
- 7 Transfer drained macaroni noodles to baking dish and pour the cheese sauce over noodles.
- 8 Top with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped bacon.
- 9 Bake for 40 minutes.