Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
This is a recipe from Taste of Home. My husband says these are better than his mother's, and she's a repeat blue prize winner. These absolutely melt in your mouth and leave you begging for more.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- additional confectioners' sugar
- Combine flour, sugar and butter.
- Pat into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, flour and lemon juice until frothy.
- Pour over the hot crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with a confectioner's sugar.
- Cut into squares.
This is a recipe that I originally found on allrecipes. It was also there that I found a review with the following modification notes that changed this from a very good to an amazing recipe. Filling modifications: Increase Eggs to 6 Increase granulated sugar to 1 3/4 cups Increase all purpose flour to 6 Tablespoons Increase Lemon Juice to 1 Cup
This is a great classic lemon bar recipe that I have made many times from Taste of Home. They don't last long in our house. Thanks for posting - now I don't have to. : )
These were good, but I would have liked there to be a more crust. I decreased the baking time of the crust to 15 minutes and decreased the baking time of the filling to 15 minutes, and the edges of the filling still came out a little brown. Very sweet, but would add more lemon next time. My family liked them a lot. Thank you for sharing.