Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I received these from Pamela's annual baking exchange and thought that I'd share the recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup hard margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 chopped walnuts
- BOTTOM LAYER.
- Crumble all 3 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Press into ungreased 9x9" pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER.
- Mix eggs and brown sugar with spoon.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir and spread over bottom layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until light brown.
Wow, I am thrilled to make these myself rather than buying store-made butter tarts/bars. I used a smaller (8x8) pan, so I baked them for 28 minutes. We don't like raisins, so I omitted them, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly, and they turned out sublime. "Bake Exchange" is an appropriate name: They are impressive and worthy of any family event or pot-luck function. Will certainly be making again!
This is an old recipe from Company's Coming 150 Delicious Squares. It is great if you want the taste but not the work of butter tarts. I use 1 tbsp of flour in filling, double the vanilla, add a pinch of cinnamon and use 1 cup of raisins, no nuts. I bake the crust 12 minutes and the filling 25 minutes, works great in my oven. Thicker crust if 8 inch pan used, double the recipe for a 9x13 pan.
Yum!!! These are absolutely delicious bars. I only put in 1 c of raisens and did not add any nuts. I baked them for 20 mins and they are perfect. Thank you for sharing a great recipe Winnipeg*Mel*.