Recipe by Winnipeg *Mel*
I received these from Pamela's annual baking exchange and thought that I'd share the recipe.
Top Review by Heatherbee2
Wow, I am thrilled to make these myself rather than buying store-made butter tarts/bars. I used a smaller (8x8) pan, so I baked them for 28 minutes. We don't like raisins, so I omitted them, but otherwise followed the recipe exactly, and they turned out sublime. "Bake Exchange" is an appropriate name: They are impressive and worthy of any family event or pot-luck function. Will certainly be making again!
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup hard margarine, softened
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1⁄2 chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- BOTTOM LAYER.
- Crumble all 3 ingredients together in a bowl.
- Press into ungreased 9x9" pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
- SECOND LAYER.
- Mix eggs and brown sugar with spoon.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir and spread over bottom layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until light brown.