Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A tasty treat from Barbados. Tastes good with some butter or a slice of cheese.
- 2 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease loaf pans with shortening, shred coconut, beat egg and melt butter.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, sugar and the raisins together in a bowl.
- Add egg, evaporated milk, margarine and almond essence and mix together well until you have a firm dough.
- Divide dough in half and fill loaf pans.
- Mix 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of hot water and brush mixture over the loaves.
- Bake in center rake for about 1 hour or until skewer inserted into center comes out clean (you can use a knife or a fork if you have no skewer).
- Let cool in the pans before removing and serving.