Cook1 hr 5 mins
A wonderful and healthful combination of beans, rice and vegetables. It's also very pretty, vegetarian, Caribbean and low-fat. It has a meaty texture and MILD curry flavor. My boyfriend, who is not fond of curry dishes, loved this. If you don't want any peppers left over, you could just add a whole red or orange pepper for color. Flageolet beans are a bit on the expensive side, so buy cannellini if you'd like to save money. Adding tofu, a meat substitute or cooked meat would make this a more substantial one-dish meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green chili peppers or 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 4 ounces brown rice
- 7 ounces tomatoes, canned chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 14 ounces cannellini beans or 14 ounces flageolet beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 5 ounces sweet corn, canned (or equivalent frozen)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, freshly chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add onion, chili and curry powder and saute until soft.
- Add rice, tomatoes and stock, mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the zucchini and bell peppers to the pan but don't stir them in yet. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times.
- Add the rinsed beans and corn. Mix well and cook gently for about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve immediately.