Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Spicy Baja Tuna steaks topped with your favorite guacamole. The Chili Powder That's Smoky and Spicy! has chili's that are quite spicy and the guacamole is a perfect accomodante. My chili powder is very hot and fresh. If need be do double yours accordingly.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tuna steaks (2 steaks)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (I used Chili Powder That's Smoky and Spicy!)
- 1 lime. juice
- 1⁄3 cup finely diced onion
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup golden rum
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Mix all marinade ingredients together.
- Coat the steaks with marinade and cover. Let marinade 1 hour.
- remove the tuna scraping the marinade off. Reserve marinade.
- In a very hot lightly oiled pan sear the tuna steaks 3 minutes each side for a rare center. Do cook longer a well done center.
- Remove, cover set aside.
- Meanwhile in same pan lower heat and stir fry the marinade ingredients for 2 minute, add rum and brown sugar and then simmer for 5 minutes or till completely reduced.
- Slice and serve topped with simmered marinade and guacamole.
This was GREAT! I had high quality fresh steaks 1/2" thick and cooked them to done (rather than sear) and loved the reduction/guac combination. Could tell it was good quality tuna (cannot mask it w/ this recipe). It was great as is but for even more variety next time I think I'll use these steaks to make some elegant fish tacos!