Recipe by **Tinkerbell**
From Betty Crocker's Southwest cooking, chock full of fresh flavors & delicious seafood! Posted for Zaar World Tour 5.
Top Review by Debbie R.
Very delicious and fresh-tasting. It tastes much more orangey than anticipated, and I only used about 3/4 t. of freshly grated orange peel. I used a poblano pepper for the green chili. I also accidentally thawed out bay scallops instead of cod, so that's what went in there instead of fish. I had to use canned clams and crab because that's all that was available. It was a very good soup. I enjoyed eating it with a slice of asiago cheese bread to dunk in it. Despite there being 2 cups of wine in it, it doesn't taste overly wine-y at all and would be safe to serve to people who don't care for wine as a dominant flavor. I think next time I would use some crab surimi instead of real canned crab or even frozen. Cut up into chunks, it would be really nice.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup green chili, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, snipped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained & cut into halves
- 24 soft-shell clams, scrubbed (steamers)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs raw shrimp, medium sized and shelled
- 1 lb cod, cut into 1-inch pieces (sea bass, mahimahi or red snapper fillets can be substituted for cod)
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen crabmeat, thawed, drained & cartilage removed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook & stir onion, chiles and garlic in oil in 6-quart Dutch oven until onion is tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for seafood.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat & simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- Add clams; cover & simmer until clams open, 5-10 minutes. (Discard any clams that have not opened.).
- Carefully stir in shrimp, cod and crabmeat. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover & simmer until shrimp are pink and cod flakes easily with fork, about 4-5 minutes.