Recipe by gailanng
From Avocados From Mexico.
Top Review by mama smurf
These were delicious! I invited the neighbors over and fixed these for our dinner and we all enjoyed the meal. I did add a little more of everything except the salsa and they went home happy and with the recipe. Definately a keeper and really so easy especially if you do a little of the items in advance like the salsa, rub and chopping of the lettuce and tomatoes and gratting the cheese. Thank you for "another" fabulous dish and a keeper. Made for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag.
For the Avocado Cream
- 1 whole ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 29.58 ml plain yogurt
- 14.79 ml mayonnaise
- 14.79 ml lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- 14.79 ml honey
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 0.5 ml kosher salt
- 59.14 ml water
For the Fresh Salsa
- 793.78 g canpetite diced tomatoes, divided
- 1 whole jalapeno, divided
- 1 small onions or 0 large onion
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 2.46 ml granulated garlic powder
- 0.75 ml kosher salt
For the Fish
- 6 tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 14.79-29.58 ml canola oil for coating fish
For the Rub
- 7.39 ml brown sugar
- 7.39 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4.92 ml oregano
- 3.69 ml granulated garlic powder
- 3.69 ml sweet paprika
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml ground allspice
- 2.46 ml kosher salt
- 29.58 ml canola oil (for cooking)
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- 473.18 ml shredded lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 236.59 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 soft corn tortillas (or hard corn shells)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Avocado Cream: Place all ingredients into a food processor and give it a whirl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Good for one week refrigerated.
- For the Salsa: Place half of canned tomatoes into food processor. Add half of the jalapeno, seeds and all. Add the rest of the salsa ingredients. Whirl until smooth. Taste. If you’d like more heat, add the rest of the jalapeno pepper and process until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl and add the rest of the canned tomatoes. Mix and taste. Season with more salt if necessary. Refrigerate up to two weeks.
- For the Rub: Mix all rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Brush fish fillets with oil. Coat both sides of fish generously with the rub. Heat a non stick pan over medium-high heat with oil. Cook fish in the hot pan, do not crowd, for 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat onto a platter, flake with a fork. Squeeze fresh lime juice over fish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out fish pan and warm tortillas one minute per side in the pan and place into a bowl lined with a clean napkin or kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Layer over warm tortilla; lettuce, tomato, cheese, fish, avocado cream, and salsa.