Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
From Avocados From Mexico.
For the Avocado Cream
- 1 whole ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
For the Fresh Salsa
- 1 (28 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, divided
- 1 whole jalapeno, divided
- 1 small onions or 1⁄4 large onion
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 3 pinches kosher salt
For the Fish
- 6 tilapia fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 -2 tablespoon canola oil for coating fish
For the Rub
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (for cooking)
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 soft corn tortillas (or hard corn shells)
- For the Avocado Cream: Place all ingredients into a food processor and give it a whirl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Good for one week refrigerated.
- For the Salsa: Place half of canned tomatoes into food processor. Add half of the jalapeno, seeds and all. Add the rest of the salsa ingredients. Whirl until smooth. Taste. If you’d like more heat, add the rest of the jalapeno pepper and process until smooth. Pour into mixing bowl and add the rest of the canned tomatoes. Mix and taste. Season with more salt if necessary. Refrigerate up to two weeks.
- For the Rub: Mix all rub ingredients together in a small bowl. Brush fish fillets with oil. Coat both sides of fish generously with the rub. Heat a non stick pan over medium-high heat with oil. Cook fish in the hot pan, do not crowd, for 4 minutes per side.
- Remove from heat onto a platter, flake with a fork. Squeeze fresh lime juice over fish. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out fish pan and warm tortillas one minute per side in the pan and place into a bowl lined with a clean napkin or kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Layer over warm tortilla; lettuce, tomato, cheese, fish, avocado cream, and salsa.
These were delicious! I invited the neighbors over and fixed these for our dinner and we all enjoyed the meal. I did add a little more of everything except the salsa and they went home happy and with the recipe. Definately a keeper and really so easy especially if you do a little of the items in advance like the salsa, rub and chopping of the lettuce and tomatoes and gratting the cheese. Thank you for "another" fabulous dish and a keeper. Made for 2013 Zaar Cookbook tag.