Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A Delicious "Street Taco" Bursting with Flavor and Color
- 1 lb mahi mahi fillet
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 12 fresh white corn tortillas
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄8 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- fresh cracked pepper
- 1 lime
- Combine Flour, Chili Powder,Salt & Pepper in Medium Mixing Bowl.
- Wash Fish thoroughly under cold water.
- Slice Filet to 1/2" x 5" Strips.
- Dip Fish Strips into Beaten Egg.
- Coat with Flour Mixture.
- Dip into Egg Once Again.
- Coat with Second Covering of Flour Mixture.
- Place Breaded Fillets on Wax Paper Lined Plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Tomato, Onion, Cilantro, Olive Oil, Fresh Cracked Pepper, Salt and Lime Juice to make Salsa Fresca - Refrigerate.
- In another small mixing bowl, combine Cabbage, Mayonnaise, Cracked Pepper, Salt to make a Cabbage Slaw - Refrigerate.
- In a Large Frying Pan, bring Vegetable Oil to 400 Degrees.
- Fry Breaded Fillets until Cooked.
- Place Cooked Fillets into Steamed Fresh Corn Tortillas.
- Top with Cabbage Slaw and Salsa Fresca and Serrano Pepper Slices (to taste).
- Serve Immediately.
My husband hates cooked fish, he only eats sushi , raw fish, he says that he hates the fish smells when you cook a fish. In this recipe I used light mayo, we put some carrots and store bought pico de gallo. I also used frozen wild Mahi mahi and did my own chile powder with oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and turmeric blended in the food processor. My husband loved and said that we should have at least once a week...... :) great one ! Thank you!
First Mahi just might be my favorite fish for making fish tacos though I usually prefer them grilled or w/o breading. That said I can tell by the ingredients that these will be fantastic and I'm going to make them tomorrow for supper. From 9 to well into their 90's my whole family loves Fish Tacos even my Semi-Vegetarian Mom won't say no to them.