Recipe by miamia05
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: This Southwest-inspired meal is easy to prepare and always a hit with my family. Shredded hash browns are combined with cumin, black beans, and red pepper, then oven baked until golden brown. Chili-lime rubbed fish fillets are baked right in the oven with the potatoes. An avocado and mango salsa provides a cool, fresh contrast of flavor!
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (4 -5 ounce) skinless tilapia fillets (or other firm white fish fillets)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 medium avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 1 medium mango, halved, seeded, peeled, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mint, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- lime wedge, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Generously spray a 13x9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, black beans, peppers, cumin, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, red pepper flakes, and eggs. Mix well. Spoon hash brown mixture in a thin layer into pan, spreading to cover bottom of the pan. Drizzle hash browns with olive oil. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Place fish fillets on a work surface. In a small bowl, combine chile powder, lime peel, and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Rub spice mixture onto both sides of fish. Arrange fish fillets on top of hash browns. Return to oven; bake, uncovered, 6-8 minutes or until fish is lightly browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine avocado, mango, red onion, cilantro, mint and lime juice. Stir to mix.
- To serve, divide hash brown into four portions, stacking if needed. Place each potato tostada on a plate. Top with a fish fillet; spoon avocado-mango salsa over top of fish. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.