Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sounds easy, delicious and healthy. Found it in my stash and wanted to be sure and save.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper (optional)
- Brown ground beef over medium heat for 8 minutes or until well done. Stir frequently to crumble meat. Drain in colander and rinse with cool water to further reduce fat if desired. Remove cooked meat to a large bowl.
- To sauté pan, add onion, green pepper and garlic and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes with juice and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, cocoa powder, sugar and hot sauce. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add beans and meat and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes. Add salt and pepper before serving if desired.