Recipe by Christmas Carol
This is a deliciously different type of taco xalad which includes chicken, avocado, and a tantalizing taco-flavored dressing. It's a very classy salad and a Pillsbury Bake-Off winner. Blue tortilla chips accompanying this dish adds the final touch of authentic Mexican flair!
Top Review by Ginny Sue
The salad dressing is a unique addition to this taco salad. I used already cooked and shredded chicken that I marinated in the dressing for several hours. Nice on a warm summer evening.
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packageold el paso taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package mixed baby greens or 1 (10 ounce) package salad greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 2⁄3 ounces shredded monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend (2/3 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- blue tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine the taco seasoning mix, light brown sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, and cider vinegar; blend well.
- Place chicken pieces in a medium, shallow bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the seasoning mixture over the chicken.
- Reserve remaining mixture for the dressing.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from seasoning mixture and discard remainder of mixture.
- Add chicken to the skillet, cooking and stirring for 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink in the center.
- In a large bowl, combine the baby greens, grape tomatoes, and red onion.
- Add reserved seasoning mixture and toss to coat.
- On a serving platter, arrange salad mixture and top with chicken, cheese, sour cream, avocado, and black olives.
- Arrange blue tortilla chips around the salad.