I've been trying to come up with a tofu breakfast that I really like. This uses the mexi-cali herbs and spices we often cooked with in LA. The veggies I used were the ones I had on hand, but diced sweet potato, carrots, nopales (if you have that on hand I envy you!), or a tablespoon or two of corn kernels or black beans would probably also be tasty. I tend to eyeball herbs and spices, so the measurements here are best guestimates-- add more or less to your own taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 zucchini, diced
- 1/4 red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small green chili pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 100 g tofu
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 -2 lime wedge
- soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon avocado, diced (ditto)
- 1fry the onion, zucchini, pepper, garlic and chile in olive oil at medium heat until onion is approaching translucence.
- 2mash together tofu, spinach, egg replacer, cilantro, dried spices. add the juice from the lime wedges.
- 3add tofu mash to the onion-veggie-garlic-chile mix and fry at slightly lower heat, till everything is hot, tender and mixed together.
- 4Add soy sauce and black pepper as needed.
- 5garish (or not), and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baja California Tofu Scramble
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.1
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 9.8 g