Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've been trying to come up with a tofu breakfast that I really like. This uses the mexi-cali herbs and spices we often cooked with in LA. The veggies I used were the ones I had on hand, but diced sweet potato, carrots, nopales (if you have that on hand I envy you!), or a tablespoon or two of corn kernels or black beans would probably also be tasty. I tend to eyeball herbs and spices, so the measurements here are best guestimates-- add more or less to your own taste.
- 1⁄4 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄4 zucchini, diced
- 1⁄4 red sweet bell pepper, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small green chili pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 100 g tofu
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1 -2 lime wedge
- soy sauce
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 green onion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon avocado, diced (ditto)
- fry the onion, zucchini, pepper, garlic and chile in olive oil at medium heat until onion is approaching translucence.
- mash together tofu, spinach, egg replacer, cilantro, dried spices. add the juice from the lime wedges.
- add tofu mash to the onion-veggie-garlic-chile mix and fry at slightly lower heat, till everything is hot, tender and mixed together.
- Add soy sauce and black pepper as needed.
- garish (or not), and serve.
Delicious! I didn't use any egg powder or zucchini because I didn't have any. I added mushrooms and canned black beans, though. Will definately make again.