A south of the border blend of textures and flavors. serve hot as a main dish or a side dish with grilled meat or chicken.
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, drained
- 4 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Cook brown rice.
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, corn, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- To serve, Place a scoop of hot rice in a bowl or on a plate, top with a generous scoop of the black bean mixture.
- Stir together before eating.
I am going to be making this all summer! I had it with some grilled chicken, and the next morning with scrambled eggs and some aged cheddar. It would also be great over a salad. The only change I made was to use canned tomatoes, and only because the ones at the store didn't look so nice. Thanks - very refreshing!
Barb, This was Oh So Goooood. it Tasted Somewhat like the Southwestern Rice dish at Taco Belle That I love so much.I won't buy fresh tomatoes at the store during the winter,so I drained a can of Diced tomatoes with green chilies and used that,so then I eliminated the Jalapeno,because the tomatoes are already HOT.I also cooked a couple of diced up chicken breasts with some cumin.I put the chicken on top after all else was assembled.There was a little left over after my husband got finished,(he had 2 big helpings)and he said "Don't throw that out I'll have some more later" I really think he too liked it.Ha Thanks for a GREAT recipe. Darlene Summers
I made this with a few additions, but I'm sure it's just as delicious made as listed. I added 2 fully cooked chicken breasts and 1/2 teaspoon cumin (for some heat). Instead of fresh tomatoes, I used 2 cans of diced w/ green chiles and omitted the jalapenos listed. I ate this several days for lunch at work heated in the micro and enjoyed it so much topped w/ a small scoop of lite sour cream. I will make this often! Yum!