Recipe by Ashley U
One of my fav Indian recipes. Great with naan or rice.
Top Review by Sue Lau
This is not a pretty dish to look at, but the flavor is very good and the flavor of the eggplant came through nicely. I think the seasonings were balanced, not too much spice. The onions were slightly heavy, I might go with smaller ones next time. Overall, a very nice Indian dish, it went well with rice, I also served it with chole as part of a vegetarian meal. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, coaresly chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 lb tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Oil rimmed baking sheet; place eggplant halves, cut side down, on sheet.
- Roast eggplant until flesh is soft, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly.
- Using spoon, scoop pulp from eggplant halves into medium bowl and mash.
- Discard skins.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until golden brown, for about 6 minutes.
- Add ginger and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Sauté for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add eggplant and stir until slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.