Prep 1 hr
Cook 18 mins
One of my fav Indian recipes. Great with naan or rice.
- 2 medium eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, coaresly chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
- 1 lb tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Oil rimmed baking sheet; place eggplant halves, cut side down, on sheet.
- Roast eggplant until flesh is soft, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly.
- Using spoon, scoop pulp from eggplant halves into medium bowl and mash.
- Discard skins.
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sauté until golden brown, for about 6 minutes.
- Add ginger and stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and next 4 ingredients. Sauté for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- Add eggplant and stir until slightly thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This is not a pretty dish to look at, but the flavor is very good and the flavor of the eggplant came through nicely. I think the seasonings were balanced, not too much spice. The onions were slightly heavy, I might go with smaller ones next time. Overall, a very nice Indian dish, it went well with rice, I also served it with chole as part of a vegetarian meal. Thanks for the recipe!
Delicious! Added garam masala as other reviewer suggested. Super easy, and a great way to use up a surplus of eggplants and tomatoes!
This was easy and delicious. Unfortunately, I didn't have ginger in the house, but I'm looking forward to making it again with that. I don't care for cilantro, so I didn't use that either. The sweetness of the roasted eggplant and fresh tomato was so nice with the bit of hear from the spices. This could easily become one of my go-to recipes.