8 hrs 20 mins
Mrs B's Note:
This recipe comes from “The Ballykissangel Cookbook” which has been leant to me by my good friend Joan. Ballykissangel was a very popular gentle drama series set in the fictional Irish village of the same name. The cookbook is a collection of traditional and modern Irish recipes, created by Aidan Dempsey, who used to do the catering for the BBC film unit. This cake can be made in advance, frozen, then served straight from the freezer. The recipe states that this serves 4, but I reckon that that's a typo; this will be rich and even though the cake is not deep, a quarter of a 9 inch cake still sounds like a lot of cake to me! You will gather that this means that I haven’t tried this yet, but it sounds super good and super easy to make; it would also be a good way to use up egg yolks if you have been making meringues. Cooking time is freezing time.
My Private Note
x 9 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces chocolate
- 4 ounces butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 ounces superfine sugar
- 4 -5 medium egg yolks (4 large or 5 medium)
- 2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream (or Irish Mist or brandy)
- 450 ml double cream (heavy cream)
- 1Line and grease the base of a 9 inch (23cm) spring form cake tin with the extra butter.
- 2Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
- 3Put the butter, sugar, egg yolks, Bailey’s Irish Cream and melted chocolate in a food processor and ‘whiz’ for about 3 or 4 minutes until well mixed; transfer chocolate mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- 4Whip the cream into soft peaks then fold it into the chocolate mixture; pour into the prepared cake tin and place in the freezer overnight.
- 5When ready to serve, remove the cake from the freezer; sprinkle cocoa powder and grated chocolate over the top of the cake to decorate and serve with extra whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bailey's Chocolate Mousse Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1009 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4270.5
- Calories from Fat 3614
- Total Fat 401.5 g
- Saturated Fat 246.1 g
- Cholesterol 1645.9 mg
- Sodium 940.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 202.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 37.6 g
- Sugars 122.4 g
- Protein 50.2 g