Prep 2 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Delicious trifle. A change from the usual trifle. Absolutely wonderful for a dinner party or any dinner. Serves 6 or 1 if you eat nothing else all day!! Preparation time includes chilling time.
- 8 single trifle sponge cakes
- 8 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream (you can use brandy or rum if you prefer)
- 400 g pear halves in natural juice
- 300 ml double cream
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 200 g mint chocolate (Mint chips not fondant)
- of fresh mint, to garnish
- icing sugar, to dust
- Use a shallow glass bowl of about 1.5 litre capacity.
- Slice the trifle sponges horizontally through the middle. Use 8 halves to cover the base of the glass bowl.
- Sprinkle over 4 tablespoons of baileys and 2 tablespoons of juice from the pears.
- Whisk together the cream and mascarpone in a large bowl until lightly whipped (be careful not to over-whisk).
- Reserve 6 of the chocolate thins and chop the rest so they are still very chunky - about the size of hazelnuts.
- Mix the chopped chocolates in with the cream.
- Cut the pear hales into 1cm slices and lay over the soaked sponge mixtures.
- Spread with half the cream mixture and repeat the whole process again starting with the sponge.
- Coarsely chop the remaining chocolate thins and sprinkle over the top.
- Leave to chill in hte fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, and serve garnished with fresh mint and a dusting of icing sugar.